1. 20% of the U.S. population has a disability, making this the largest minority group in the nation.
2. People with disabilities
- have the highest rate of unemployment,
- the highest rate of poverty and
- the lowest level of education of any minority group in the United States.
Awesome yet depressing facts compiled by the Disability Funders Network.
Still philanthropy does not follow the disability sector. At all. Stray cats gets more funding than disability. I think cats are cute and all, but what about the 50 million people in the US who were born with or who acquire disabilities?
The reasons are many, but here are a few off the top of my head.
1. We are taught to ignore the “handicapped person.”
From an early age, the elephant in the room began to grow as we were taught “not to stare”. We were not taught how to be…
View original post 716 more words